IS IT WORTH IMPORTING BUILDING MATERIALS FROM CHINA?
Whenever you come across any consumer product with a label “Made in China”, the first thing that comes to your mind is “Should I buy it?” You are skeptical about buying the product because it lacks trust. The Chinese markets in the past years have emerged on a huge scale in all the fields. It also includes the market of building materials. In fact most of the building materials are imported from China via importers in your country, they work closely with private label manufactures in China so that their brand will be on the product with OEM services. In fact, most of the US companies has outsourced manufacturing to China due to lower labor cost. The merchandises in 2017 alone imported from China to US is worth of 500 billion US dollars. The reason for such a large scale production is the scaling up of the processes which gradually reduces the cost. No doubt, the large scale imports by other countries from China have contributed in the country’s GDP but it has also resulted in one adverse effect. For the wider international markets, the Chinese products lack trust. In this article you will come across some points which will break this perception about Chinese building materials.
Perceptions related to Chinese Markets
In general terms, every Chinese product is considered synonymous to cheap, poor quality, no customer service, no warranty, etc. If this is your imagination after you see any Chinese consumer product, you must continue reading this article.
Yes, there are some firms who don’t manufacture good quality building materials in China but that does not mean the whole market should be questioned.
The reason for the negative perception about Chinese building materials is some unfortunate incidents which have happened in the past. These incidents are ingrained in the minds of the customers. Some of them are mentioned below.
- Laminate flooring made by the Chinese manufacturers was found to contain toxic substances.
- The drywalls imported from China were found to have ill effects of the health of the people living in the homes and also it corroded the copper wires.
- The laminate wood products imported from China were found to contain formaldehyde. Formaldehyde is known to badly affect the nervous system of humans.
These are some findings which are responsible for tarnishing the image of Chinese building manufacturers in the world.
Apart from these there are also complaints that, due to cheap price of the Chinese building materials, the manufacturers of the imported country are not able to withstand their customer base. China has started the production of building materials on a large scale and the manufacturers of the importing countries cannot compete with them at the level of production capacity.
Breaking the perceptions about Chinese Building Materials
Regarding the ill effects of the China Building Materials on the health of the people, before importing any material you must try to understand the manufacturers’ background and his selling history. You must also read the customer reviews and do some research from your side. You must also understand one more thing that if the building material you are importing is too cheap, then it will definitely have some consequences. Every quality has its own cost.
You must try to find good quality building materials from China and import them from the manufacturers who have a good reputation in the market. It may be a bit expensive but it will definitely assure you a better quality at its price.
Now, coming to the point of the complaints from the manufacturers of the imported country that Chinese building materials are deteriorating their markets, you can consider those manufacturers as incompetent. They have been working safely earning higher profits in a market where there was no competition earlier.
Some of the top industry leaders believe that the inclusion of low cost Chinese building materials in their markets has forced the local manufacturers to price their materials competitively. Also, they are now working on improving quality of their own material. Until now, they were operating in a safe zone since they never had any competition. Now, the Chinese building materials are giving them a tough competition which ultimately is benefitting the customers.
Also, due to reduction in the prices of the building materials from China by the local manufacturers, the economies of the importing countries are doing well and the building industry as a whole is least affected by the imports. The boom in the current infrastructure market is consuming the materials from all types of manufacturers, be it from the imported products or the local manufacturers.
How to import building materials from China?
Almost all types of building materials are available in China. There are mainly the following types of ways of finding a supplier for building materials: online sourcing, trade shows and wholesale markets, and working with a sourcing agent. If you are trying to go to the wholesale market–just like how to import furniture from China–importing building materials follows similar guide lines when it comes to how to buy wholesale from China. Together with furniture, Foshan market is by far China’s largest markets in building materials. You can almost find any types of building materials here in Foshan such as tiles and ceramics. This is the place to be when you are looking for wholesale market.
You can give visit to China and attend the China Import and Export Fair which is also called as Canton Fair, held in Guangzhou. If you cannot visit China then you can order it through online platforms like Alibaba.com.
Importing online has its own risk regarding the quality of the product and also the availability. There are cases where the customer got their products delivered wrongly. Hence before ordering online you must make sure about the availability of the materials. In fact, there are recently debates on is alibaba safe and legit. This is due the increasing numbers of frauds and scams caused by traders and resellers using fake credentials in their profile to conduct dishonest business with customers. You definitely want to check out the tutorial on how to use alibaba to find suppliers in China. It helps you to distinguish resellers and real factories.
You can import building materials from China through a sourcing agent or a sourcing company. A sourcing company helps you to import the building material of your choice from any place in China. This is actually recommended specially for those who don’t want to go through the hustle of finding a reliable supplier. It is also critical to have someone in China to be your supply chain support in order to do quality control and product inspections. If you don’t have such team in China, a sourcing company can be your ideal partner in China for that matter. The company will visit the fair or the supplier on your behalf and negotiate the price with him. The sourcing company will be your representative in China. It will even conduct a proper research so that you will get a right material for your price.
Due to cheap labour in China sourcing will turn out to be a cheaper option compared to other options. But if you are a first timer, you must be very careful.
If you are importing on your own you will need you to establish relationships, setup the shipping for your materials and also navigate your order through the customs of your country. If you take the help of a sourcing company, all this will be taken care by them.
China Sourcelink is a leading sourcing company that help customers to import building materials from China. As your sourcing agent, they will verify the supplier, check the quality, arrange for the pickup and also take care of your shipment till it is delivered to you. There is no need for you to be present in China. Also, if you are an entrepreneur with new technical ideas, they also can outsource the execution of your ideas to a perfect R&D team.
If you are not taking help from a sourcing company and shipping your material on your own, then you will need to book a cargo. After you book the cargo, you will have to monitor its journey and deal with the customs of both the countries. This is a time consuming process. This is not recommended for a small shipment. You have few other options as well.
- You can also opt for giving the responsibility of shipping to your supplier but the problem is it will cost you more.
- You can take the help of a freight forwarder from your own country. Here, you will be in communication with the people of your own country hence it will be easier to track the shipment.
- If you have any contacts with any freight forwarder in China, you can hire them to take care of your shipment.
- You can choose to have freight forwarders in both the countries.
Things to be taken care of while importing building materials from China
- You must do your research and select a right supplier. Once you select a right supplier for your material half of your job is done. The supplier you select must be reliable and sincere. You must have to look at his relations with other foreign buyers as well.
- If you are importing the building materials from China with Alibaba.com or any other online platform you have to extra careful dealing with someone you don’t know in the first palce. It might never happen that the supplier will take your money and will not send your material to you. Because, the registration on these online platforms is done only after verifying their identity and other documentation process. However such verification is very loose. Further, they might instead sending something with very low quality and when you ask for refund you will be basically ignored. They might be They also have to pay a fixed fee every year to become a supplier on the platform and that’s how Alibaba make money.
- The important thing you need to take care is that you are getting a good quality material for your price. Hence, do not focus on very cheap items. Also, make sure that you will get your profits when you sell them in the retail market of your country.
- Be clear on your requirement, because Chinese supplier never accept return of the materials neither they help you to get the refund.
- For payment options, always go for credit card payment because it is the safest method. At any point of time you can cancel the payment if anything goes wrong.
- Keep in mind that the delivery of the material you have ordered may be late. There may be various factors associated with it like the manufacturing of the materials, your shipment arriving late, or the materials may be held by customs. To overcome these problem to some extent always select a good freight forwarder.
- Before you place an order, calculate all the necessary costs involved. The costs include the price of the material, the freight forwarder charges and the charges paid at the customs.
- Check if your country demands an import licence in order to import products from China. The same principles applies to import building materials from China.